Mallam-Kasoa flood: Delays in securing funds contributed to Monday’s gridlock – Asenso-Boakye

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
Spread the love

Roads and Highways Minister, Francis Asenso-Boakye, has announced that the government will soon secure funds to construct significant storm drains along the Weija-Kasoa road to alleviate flooding issues in the area.

Expressing concern, the Roads Minister highlighted the bureaucratic hurdles involved in securing funds for completing storm drains along the stretch, identifying it as a significant obstacle facing the government.

Commuters on the stretch were left stranded after a heavy downpour around 4 pm on Monday, May 13. The vehicular traffic continued into Tuesday morning with some residents spending almost 9 hours in traffic.

Stranded residents had to navigate through the floodwaters to reach their homes.

Speaking to journalists after visiting the stretch, Francis Asenso-Boakye said the processes toward securing funding for the project led to a delay which resulted in the unfortunate congestion that was experienced on Monday and Tuesday.

“People would have wished that this had been resolved many years ago but as you know, we need funds to do this storm drain and this is not the only storm drain challenge that we have in the city in the region, or in the country.

“But unfortunately, we didn’t have the funds to do it. We had to go through a series of processes to get funds to do it and that is why it was delayed.”

READ ALSO  Court jails man 12 months for GH¢50K theft

The Weija-Gbawe Municipal Assembly Engineer, Dr Daniel Sowah, also told the host of the Citi Breakfast Show, Bernard Avle, on Citi FM on Tuesday that the assembly is “constructing a storm drain at Baba Dogo to contain the water, and it will lead the water to the Sunda Factory area and around the Old Melcom.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *